To get your learner license you’ll need to go to your local DPS office.
A learner license costs $16, this fee is paid to the DPS not ParentTaught.com. You can pay with a money order, cash, credit, or check.
What To Bring
- DE-964 Learner License Certificate (Printed in Color)
- The person who is your officially designated instructor (they need to physically come with you)
- Your Parent/Legal Guardian (they need to physically come with you)
- This is most likely the same person as your designated instructor
- Proof of PTDE Program Guide Packet Purchase
- The first page of your PTDE Program Guide Packet.
- If you can’t find the packet or lost the receipt go to the TDLR website to find it again. If you still can’t get it to work you need to call the TDLR at 800-803-9202.
- Parent Taught Instructor Designation Form
- This form is only required if your parent/legal guardian is not the instructor!
- Application for an Original Texas Driver License (DL-14A)
- Do not sign until at the DPS and instructed to do so!
- Proof of Texas residency
- Proof of identity and lawful US presence
- US Passport, or US certificate of citizenship (full list)
- Birth certificate AND Social Security Card AND Report Card/Immunization Record/School ID
- Social Security Card
- Originals only, no copies allowed
- Verification of Enrollment (VOE)
- $16 Learner License Fee
- If the DPS says you need another form (for example, forms DL-90A, DL-90B, or Classroom Instruction Log DL-91A), please email TPSTprogram@dps.texas.gov with the full name of your child, the DPS location and the issue you are having. These forms have been phased out. Please note: We cannot resolve issues with your local DPS office.
After you get your Learner License
- Once you get your Learner License from the DPS you can begin your 14 hours of behind-the-wheel instruction. Use the Driving Manager resource to help guide you and your instructor.
- This course is structured as ‘concurrent’ which means that you can be working on your behind-the-wheel hours as you complete the lessons.