If you want to take Parent Taught Drivers Ed, there are two things you need to purchase, the first is a state-approved Parent Taught Drivers Education Course (like ours), and the second is the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation (TDLR) Parent Taught Drivers Ed Program Guide Packet. This article will guide you through all you need to know about the PTDE Packet so Texas Teens can get their license!
What is the Parent Taught Driver Education (PTDE) Packet?
The Packet is required to be purchased from the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation. This is a state requirement and needs to happen before you can continue the course. But don’t worry you can purchase the packet in under 5 minutes, completely online.
How much does the PTDE Packet Cost?
The packet costs $20, this fee can be paid by credit card, check, or money order. This fee is paid to the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation NOT to the Parent Taught Drivers Ed Course Provider.
How to order the Texas PTDE Program Guide Packet
The easiest way is to purchase the packet online and having it e-mailed. The benefit of doing it online is that you do not have to wait for it physically arrive. If you want, you can order the Program Guide by mail, but it is not recommended.
How to Order the PTDE Program Guide Online
- Purchase the Request for Parent Taught Driver Education Instructor Designation Service Application from TDLR. This has to be done by your Parent, Step-Parent, Foster Parent, Grandparent, or Legal Guardian. Before doing so check that your instructor has a good driving record and they are eligible. Make sure you enter in the correct instructor information because changing your official parent instructor can be difficult.
- It is recommended to have the PTDE Program Guide delivered by Email. See the picture below for how to request it be delivered by email. If you select delivery by mail you will have to wait for it to arrive before you can begin your Parent Taught Drivers Ed course. After you purchase the application, there will be a link to download your Program Guide on the purchase confirmation page, you will also receive an email with a download link.
How to Order the PTDE Program Guide by Mail (Not Recommended)
- Print and fill out this form: https://www.tdlr.texas.gov/driver/forms/DPS001.pdf.
- Mail the form along with a check or money order for $20, the payment should be payable to “Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation”. The mailing address is: Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation /PO BOX 12157/Austin, Texas 78711-2157
What to do if you aren’t receiving your PTDE packet
If you don’t receive the PTDE after purchasing there are a few common reasons why this is happening.
If you purchased the Program Guide and had it e-mailed you:
- Check your e-mail spam folder
- Check your e-mail junk/trash folder
- Make sure you entered the correct email
If you purchased the Program Guide and had it mailed to you:
- Be patient, it can take two to three weeks after TDLR receives your application for you to receive the Packet.
Check the status of your PTDE Program Guide Packet
If you haven’t received your PTDE Packet, you can check the status of your request at the following web address: https://www.tdlr.texas.gov/ParentTaught/PT_Search.aspx.
Contact the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation for PTDE packet support.
Having an issue with your Parent Taught Driver Education program guide? Contact the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation (TDLR) directly, there are a few options for reaching them:
During periods of high demand (like the summer), TDLR may take longer to respond to your requests.
Where is the Texas Parent Taught Driver Education program guide receipt number?
The receipt number is found on the middle of the front page of the PTDE Program Guide. It can also be found on the bottom right.
What to do if you lose the PTDE Program Guide Guide how do I get another copy?
Don’t worry as long as you have some basic information you can easily download a copy of your PTDE Program Guide here.
What forms are included in the PTDE Program Guide
Most of the forms you need will be found in the packet, including the DL-91A Classroom Instruction Log, the DL-14A Application for Texas Driver License, and other required documents. Make sure to wait to sign these forms until you are in front of a DPS employee.
What to do after ordering the PTDE Program Guide
Once you have the packet begin your TDLR approved Parent Taught Drivers Education Course. You’re on your way to getting your Learner License and your Provisional Driver License!